Monday, May 31, 2010

Hands-On Project 1-4 (Page 35)


Objective ad verbatim:

“When Microsoft Windows updates are installed on your computer (if you have it set to automatically install updates), an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is installed and runs in the background. It checks computers for infections by specific malware and helps remove any infection found. This tool can also be downloaded and run at any time. In this project you will download and run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.” (Ciampa, 2009)

Process:

1. Firstly, I created a System Restore Checkpoint. (Just in case something goes wrong)


2. Next, I opened up Mozilla Firefox (the only browser to use) and pointed the URL to http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx. I then followed the steps to download the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.


3. When the download completed, I ran the program (not before scanning the file with my virus scanner first though!) and selected ‘Quick Scan’.


4. I then left the program to run.


5. After a few minutes, I returned to check the results of the scan. I was happy to see that my computer was proclaimed malware-free.



Reflection:

The benefit that I, as a user, have derived from this exercise is the newfound awareness of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, a particularly useful tool to run regularly on a system. This allows the user to scan his or her Windows Systems with relative ease.

Also, it serves as a sort of general assessment in terms of malicious presences in the computer system.

Sine Cera,
Jeremy Heng

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment