Monday, June 7, 2010

Hands-On Project 2-3 (Page 72)


Objective ad verbatim:

“One of the methods for blocking a USB drive is to use third-party software that can control USB device permissions. In this project, you download and install a software-based USB write blocker to prevent data from being written to a USB device.” (Ciampa, 2009)

Process:

1. Firstly, I opened up Mozilla Firefox (JAPH) and pointed the URL to http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/thumbscrew-software-usb-write-blocker. I then downloaded Thumbscrew to a thumb drive.


2. Next, I turned on VMWare and plugged in my thumb drive into Windows XP. I navigated through explorer to the thumbscrew folder in my thumb drive and started the executable up. An icon appeared in the system tray. I checked to make sure the disk protection was off.


3. I returned to my desktop and right clicked on the text file that was created during Hands-On Project 2-2. I selected ‘Send To’ then clicked on my thumb drive.


4. Then, I opened up Explorer and navigated to my thumb drive. As expected, the file was found in the thumb drive’s root directory.


5. I clicked on the tray icon next and selected ‘Make USB Read Only’ from the pop up list.

6. Next, I created another text file and attempted to send it to my thumb drive via the same method.


7. An error message was shown.



Reflection:

From this project, I learnt how easy it is to make a USB device unreadable on a computer. It is a skill I do not foresee using much in the near future, but it might prove useful.

Sine cera,
Jeremy Heng

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Rest in Peace, Dio.



Hands-On Project 2.3 Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment