Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hands-On Project 3-3 (Page 113)



Objective ad verbatim:

“Setting browser security is important to keep a computer secure. In this project, you use the Windows Internet Explorer (IE) Version 7 Web browser.” (Ciampa, 2009)

Process:

1. First, I opened up… Internet Explorer (ew) and clicked on Internet Options and then selected the General tab.


2. Next, I clicked Settings under Browsing History and then View Files.


3. I selected a cookie from the list and viewed its contents in Notepad. This cookie contained quite a substantial bit of information when compared to other cookies like Google’s for 


4. I then deleted all Browsing History.



5. Following that, I clicked Tools and pointed to Manage Add-ons and from the drop down menu: Add-ons that run without requiring permission.


6. Next, I opened up the Security tab found in Internet Options.


7. I then clicked on Custom Level and scrolled through the ActiveX Security Settings. It seemed sufficient to me, providing the user with a host of controls.


8. Now, I went to www.documentingreality.com.


9. I then placed www.documentingreality.com into the restricted websites list.


10. I went back to www.documentingreality.com.


11. Finally, I clicked on the Privacy tab and looked at the slider. I also checked the prevent popup checkbox.



Reflection:

ActiveX controls are very dangerous when given full reign. If a user allows access to an ActiveX control that is malicious, it may prove disastrous since it has the ability to modify files and work at a very high level. This project has taught me that the user should be more aware of the security features of a browser and that proper setting of options for security is very important, especially for browsers, programs that are at the very front of the internet interface.

Sine Cera,
Jeremy Heng

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"



Hands-On Project 3.3 Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment